Create a Simple Expense Tracking App Using Google AppSheet — Part2
In the last blog we learnt how to create the app and make our first expense in the app.In this blog I am going to show you how to organise and beautify(styling) the expenses made by the user, followed by exporting a csv file of all the expenses made.
So let’s get started.
So first let’s make a few more expenses, under different categories. So now I am going to make 4 expense entries under 4 different categories.
So here I have made four new expenses.
Now in order to align all the expense and find the total of each category follow these steps:
- First you have to go to UX.
2. Now since we have to make changes in the spending section, click on spending.
Since we have to sort all the expenses according to category we have to click on the Add button next to Group by.
3. When you click on add it will show you the various properties on the basis of which you can group the entries.
So here we have selected Category. Also we have to show the total amount spent under each category. In order to do that, follow these steps.
- Click on Group aggregate below Group by.
2. Here it is showing you count, that is why you can see a number next to each of the categories.
3. When you click on the dropdown it will show you the following options.
So here we have to click on the Amount Spent . on clicking Amount Spent , you will see something like this next to each of the categories.
4. So now, next to the Transport category I can see the total I have spent on transport.
5. Now let’s go and make one more entry under the Transport Category.
This is the expenditure that I have made.
6. After I hit save, I can see that the total amount spent on Transport has come to 300.
So now we have got the total amount spent under each category.
Exactly under each expense we can see the email address that you have entered. In order to change this, follow these steps.
- Go to UX.
2. Click on the spending option, as we have to change the details of the expenses made.
3. After clicking on spending you have to scroll down till Layout.
4. So here we can change the title and the subtitle for each expense.
5. In order to change the subtitle you have to click on Subtitle goes here.
6. So here I have clicked on the dropdown, and selected Amount Spent.So now under each expense it will show the amount spent.
Now I am going to show you how to export a csv file with all the expenses in it. In order to do that, follow these steps.
- Click on Behaviour.
2. Now click on the plus sign that says New Action.
Here, I have given a name to the action called CSV File.
4. Next we have to select a sheet, so in this case we have to select the spending sheet, as all the expenses are recorded in the Spending sheet.
5. Now we have given the name, selected a sheet, now we have selected the type of action that has to be performed.
When you click on the dropdown “Do this” it will show you the following actions.
Here you can see the different actions that you can perform. So in order to export a csv file we have to select the second option.
Now we have created the action, now how will the user use the action. In order to assign the action to a button, follow these steps.
- Click on Appearance .
Here we can see that we can choose an icon for the button, you can even search for the button. In order to put the button on the view you have to click on Display overlay. As soon as you do this, you will see something like this.
We have created the action and assigned it to a button. Now lets go ahead and make a few more expenses. After you are done making the expenses, go ahead and click on the csv button. As soon as you do that, you can see that a csv file has been created.
After opening the csv file I can see all the expenses I have made.
This is all for this blog. I hope you have understood how to create a simple expense tracking app. You can send your feedback on firstname.lastname@example.org.